The Reddick Mansion Grounds

The Reddick Mansion grounds and gardens are maintained by a small group of devoted volunteers. In addition to the beautiful landscaping, as well as the annual and perennial beds, the grounds are complemented by various pieces of Victorian era statuary, including an armillary, a gazing ball, and Cupid.

The Goddesses of the Four Seasons, donated by Roger and Judy Hooper, are arrayed along the original brick wall on the west side of the property. Memorial money from long-time board member Esther Funk was used to purchase the beautiful urns located on either side of the front stairway. Also scattered about are several memorial benches for visitors to use while strolling around the grounds.

In 2024, Sharon Coleman of Seattle, Washington and a former Ottawan donated $10,000 designated specifically for use with the grounds and gardens.

“Mr. and Mrs. Reddick”

Tending to her herb garden. (Chuck and Diane Sanders, President of the RMA)

Eliza Jane Reddick Herb Garden

The Eliza Jane Reddick Herb Garden was created in 1995. It is located on the northwest side of the property along the brick wall. Visitors are invited to stroll its paths and see the various medicinal and culinary herbs planted there. Most of the plants are labeled. The arbor, with its ornate “R”, serves as a favorite spot for taking photographs.

The Pergola

Students often come for photos for dances for a small donation.

Eleanor McClevey Memorial Pergola

Located in a prominent position on the north side of the grounds stands the Eleanor McClevey Memorial Pergola.  Inspired by Twila Yednock and built by the Building Trades Class at Ottawa Township High School under the direction of Dave Keely, the pergola was dedicated on May 23, 2014 in memory of Eleanor McClevey.  Mrs. McClevey  was actively involved in the RMA from its inception.  In 2024, Halm Electric installed electricity and lighting in the pergola.  

The pergola and grounds are available for rent for private events, such as weddings, meetings, or parties.

Outbuildings

In 1842, while William Reddick was serving as sheriff of LaSalle County, he purchased Lot 11 on Block 56 of what was known as Ottawa’s States Addition.  This lot is where he would eventually build his beautiful home.  With the purchase of the surrounding lots, Reddick’s “estate” would eventually encompass a full half block, stretching from Lafayette Street to Washington Street and from the alley to Columbus Street.  

The Mansion itself was first structure to be built.  Reddick then added a carriage house, a horse barn, and another home which stood on the northeast corner of the property, on Washington Street.  Debate continues about the original function of the medium-sized brick structure located to the west of the Mansion.  It may have been used as a detached kitchen or a spring house.  What is known is that it once served as home for the Reddick Library caretaker.  Today, it is the only one of the four outbuildings still in existence.

The Fence

In the earliest known photo of the Reddick Mansion, dated 1866, shows two wooden fences bordering the property: the Mansion’s fence and an anti-splash fence on the berm.

In the early 1870s, an elaborate cast iron fence was installed by William Reddick, surrounding the property on three sides. The fence was removed in 1910 when the Reddick Library sold it to the Jewish Cemetery in South Ottawa. There it remained until the early 1980s when the cemetery removed it due to the adjacent highway being widened. The RMA, now in charge of the Mansion’s operations, obtained the remaining pieces from the cemetery and arranged for 25 more sections to be fabricated to complete the fence.

Floyd and Keith Johnson, co-owners of Johnson Pattern and Machine Co., donated their time and the materials to make the patterns used to cast the new fence. Work began in 1989 to restore the stone wall upon which the iron fence would be anchored. Altogether, the wall and fence restoration cost an approximately $150,000.

It was one of the first significant restoration projects undertaken by the RMA.